Friday, September 19, 2014

Economic Inequality in the U.S.


I am not a person who understands numbers very well.  Upon returning to college in 2012 after a 10 year detour, I had to take two of those "beginner" math courses before I could even begin statistics.  When someone starts talking about numbers, I am likely to either zone out or frantically plot my escape route.  So, just in case you share my distaste for numbers, I'm providing videos containing fun graphs that are explained really well to aid in the understanding of economic inequality in this here country, the U.S. of A., the supposed land of milk and honey, where the poor and downtrodden can pick themselves up by their proverbial bootstraps and make something of themselves.

The video below is now a couple years old, but it is far from outdated.  It depicts just how out of balance the state of wealth distribution has become.  

Wealth Inequality in America


There was a slight backlash from the video above.  There are suggestions that though wealth may be dispersed inequitably, those in the bottom of the bunch were seeing their income increase by a whole 25%.  This may be true, but during the same time period (1967 - 2009), the top 20% saw their income increase by 71%.  The video below will spell this out for you, but the income difference for the top 20% went from $100,059.00 per year in 1967 to $170,844.00 per year in 2009 compared with an $8,984.00 annual income for the bottom 20% increasing to a whopping $11,552.00 per year.  Wow!  That's a whole $2500.  Imagine all the goods and services that can be purchased with a couple grand!

Is There Income Mobility In America?


Call me skeptical, but I just don't see how a $2500 increase and a $70,000 increase can even be compared.  The person making a couple grand more might be able to purchase a used car, or maybe have some healthier food options more regularly, but living on $11,000 a year is incredibly difficult.  I've done it, I'm sure many of you have, too.  My $11,000 annual income looked like this
  • 0 healthcare
  • unstable living environment (often trading labor for housing, living out of my car)
  • substantial increase in debt/reliance on credit cards
  • a lot of Ramen Noodles or skipping meals altogether
  • increased stress and feelings of despair
  • a few nights in a homeless shelter
I had a lot going for me in those years of poverty.  I had no dependents.  I had a lot of support.  I could ask people for help when things got really bleak.  We don't all have these options.  But I digress.  Getting back to the numbers, here is an updated look:

What Does Income Inequality Mean to Americans?



The U.S. is now ranked second for income inequality in the world. How much longer until we are ranked first? If wealth inequality isn't a wicked problem, I don't know what is. There are no solutions, but there has to be something better.  

References:

Botti, D. (2014, January 24). What does income inequality mean to americans [video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoTzjxUfh1Q

Mulholland, S. (2012, December 27). Is there income mobility in america [video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbueX92CKPk

Wealth inequality in america (2012, November 20). [video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM&list=PL342FFF266E9178CC


5 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you on the zombie look that appears on my face when numbers and statistics are flashed in front of me. Like you said I believe many Americans share this distaste with us, leading me to hypothesize that although these numbers may be out there what is the percentage of Americans who are aware. Even if these citizens are aware a large quantity of them are doing the best they can to stay afloat and obtain basic needs (food, water, shelter, transportation) and don't have the adequate time that would needed to advocate for a higher minimum wage, more affordable housing, or access to healthy low cost produce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think an important step in lessening income equality is education. While Americans suspect that there is growing income disparity, they are ignorant to the frightening degree of that disparity. I support government intervention (e.g., expanded social welfare programs), but now I'm not so sure that our current governmental system can do anything substantial and long-lasting to lessen income inequality. I believe we need an entirely new system, but, of course, I don't know what it would look like. Indeed, a wicked problem with no clear solutions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first video you have posted is amazing. Not in a good way unfortunately. I watched this video about a year ago and posted it on Facebook. So many people didn't believe the statistics that are presented but it seemed legit to me. The last video gives me little to no hope for the future of my children and even myself. I feel even I have little chances of upward mobility even with a college degree. Unless there are drastic changes made to our economy and the way it operates,the number of people living in poverty will just continue to grow. As the video shows it has already grown largely in the last 35 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sonya, I have seen all of these videos before, tragically I feel as though as time passes I seem to downplay the effect it has on our society. The income gap is cause for many debates, and I'm sure some futile arguments, yet the changes we need to see seem farther and farther away. I know we have spoken on this issue before and I'm sure it will happen again, but it honestly is frustrating. More and more people are becoming educated on this topic yet nothing is being done, STILL. As a class on community organization I can only hope we learn the tools to fight social problems such as this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that the wealth distribution in the US is very skewed, the figures are clear and the visual representation is even more stunning. A $70,000 increase compared to ~$3,000 increase does not help the bottom percentiles. Especially when those within the bracket are facing oppression via multiple other outlets. Some examples of this includes financially, health care, transportation, employment, etc. Even those able to provide necessities face several struggles. Something positive to keep in mind is the ability to reach out and support helping the much less fortunate even through personal struggles. That is building community!

    ReplyDelete