Fragmentation is likely to occur in groups working to solve wicked problems because wicked problems are essentially unsolvable and difficult to comprehend. Although every solution will have negative outcomes, each will provide the group with a better understanding of the wicked problem. The tendency for an individual to feel that she understands the problem more than another member of the group is high and when her ideas are found to be flawed (as they inevitably will), she could feel less committed to the group, feel unheard or misunderstood, or feel less willing to speak up when she comes up with another solution.
I really like solutions, so much more than problems. I don't know about you, but I started feeling a little hopeless when I first started reading about wicked problems. When dialogue mapping was mentioned briefly, I got a bit excited. What was this? How could I learn how to use it? I work with a lot of groups right now. We aren't always discussing problems high on the wicked scale, but would this tool be helpful? So, I started digging around a bit more.
This first image I found was a bit hard for me to understand at first. It might take a minute, but look at it closely and it becomes pretty self explanatory.
I dug deeper and found a FAQ from CogNexus Institute that broke it down very simply. I'll paraphrase the main points below.
Dialogue Mapping is:
- "Radically inclusive"
- implemented through a group facilitator paraphrasing all participant comments/ideas and creates a visual map that all can see
- The map is essentially a group memory
- It is non-linnear, therefore capturing the way people actually think
- The map consists of questions, ideas, pros, and cons
Here is a video explanation of how dialogue mapping would work in a meeting or group.
Limits of Conversational Structure
Dialogue mapping may not solve any wicked problems but it will assist people to work in groups more effectively.
References:
Christensen, K. (2009). Building shared understanding of wicked problems. Rotman Magazine, Winter, 17-20 Retrieved from http://www.cognexus.org/Rotman-interview_SharedUnderstanding.pdf
CogNexus Institute. (nd). A tool for wicked problems: Dialogue mapping FAQs. In Dialogue Mapping. Retrieved from http://cognexus.org/id41.htm
Conklin, J. (2008, April 10). Limits of conversational structure [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxS5wUljfjE
Culmsee, P. (2009, Septemeber 10). The practice of dialogue mapping-part 1 [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://www.cleverworkarounds.com/2009/09/10/the-practice-of-dialogue-mapping-part-1/



Hello Sonya,
ReplyDeleteI really like the idea of dialogue mapping, I think this would be a great tool to use in a group meeting, and it also creates a visual.
Thank you so much for sharing, I had never heard about this before.
Rosemary
Hey Sonya, I really enjoyed your post. The term dialogue mapping sounds complicated in itself...I am a very visual person; so the video mapping out an example of conversation (comprised of various issues) by group participants shows an interesting perspective on discussion. This seems adaptable to many atmospheres, including casually or in a classroom setting. The structure can be smooth transitioning if one is aware during a group discussion.
ReplyDeleteSonya, I enjoyed reading your post; I too, was overwhelmed when reading about "wicked problems." Dialogue Mapping offers a glimmer of hope with helping to deal with some of these "wicked problems" we face. I have never heard of this concept, thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete